Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Visual Rhetoric and Gazes

     Disclaimer: I don't know the artist or name of this painting. I found it in the Huntsman Cancer Institute a few years ago.
     I have learned how to tell a story. I understand the basic narrative tools. It would appear that we are now going to use those tools to describe something visual. That does not sound difficult, except that, how do I describe to you this painting? I can tell you size, shape, colors, and subject. I want you to see this painting the way I see it. I want to describe in detail so that if you ever saw it in a museum some where you would Know it. There are many different "Gazes" to describe something visual in writing. For example are we viewing an intimate moment between lovers or is she playing for us? Is she writing a song or just picking? I am excited to learn this style of writing.

1 comment:

  1. You didn't really give any types of Rhetorical gazing so we can understand the concept.
    I love the picture its very unique and interesting.

    ReplyDelete