Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Narrative Structures?

        Narrative structures is another term for a story arc. I didn't understand this while reading the assignment until I saw the graphs in the essay. I remembered learning about story arc's in elementery school. Basically, what we are discussing are the parts of the story. In all stories or narratives the author is trying to convey an idea. The author does this in a way that can actually be visually graphed. For me visually seeing a story arc helps me understand the overall theme of a story. It helps me stay out of the details so I can understand the the authors meaning.
      To help explain this observation lets look at my favorite story, The Star Wars Trilogy. Overall the trilogy is set in "A Galaxy Far, Far away" Space. The characters, an unlikely hero,a Princess, a pirate, wise wizards and evil, tyranycal dictators bent on galaxy wide domination. There are several tension elements building to climax then, a set back for the good guys, then a build up again, set back and finally our heroes, against all odds beat the bad guys. The theme of Star Wars is good triumphing over evil. Simple easily graphed. Easy to define. Easy for me to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment